Registration for Career Summit 2018 is now closed. Walk-ins will be accepted if space becomes available.
A distinguished group of alumni will join Silicon Valley executives and venture capitalists for Career Summit 2018. The event is two days of practical preparation April 6 and 7 at the Hicks Student Center for Life after K. Om Malik, a partner at True Ventures, continues our series of features highlighting our speakers for the event. To learn more, visit our Career Summit 2018 news story.
Partner at True Ventures
Journalist Om Malik founded technology blog Gigaom in 2001. With seed funding from True Ventures, he turned the one-man blog into a media company and research firm. Not long thereafter, Om became a venture partner, then partner, at True Ventures, where he continues to invest in promising networking and internet infrastructure technologies.
Om regularly writes for The New Yorker and provides commentary on tech trends to broadcast channels including Bloomberg West, NPR and BBC television and radio. He started writing about tech in the early 1990s. In 2003, he published his first book, “Broadbandits: Inside the $750 Billion Telecom Heist.” Born and raised in New Delhi, Om is now happily situated in Northern California.
He holds a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from St. Stephen’s College, where he graduated with honors.
Om is scheduled to speak during the following sessions of Career Summit 2018:
- Start-Up 101: From Dream to Successful Venture, 10 a.m. April 7
- Social Entrepreneurship: Finding Solutions to Community Problems, 10:45 a.m. April 7
- Mentoring Matters: What You Gain from Trusted Advisers, 11:30 a.m. April 7
- Charting Your Course: How to Make the Most of the Career Summit, 1:30 p.m. April 7
Other Scheduled Speakers
- Bill Duane ’94, retired superintendent of well-being, Google
- Brad O’Neill ’93, CEO and co-founder, Depot Global Inc.
- Carolyn DeWitt ’04, president and executive director of Rock the Vote
- Drew Dumsch ’90, founder and president/CEO of The Ecology School
- Ed Hortelano ’83, global vice president of research and development at Loparex
- Esperanza Cantú ’11, project leader in the Data Planning and Evaluation Division at the Detroit Health Department
- Hilmon Sorey, managing director at ClozeLoop
- Janete Perez, co-founder at Present
- Kris Davidson, business owner, Kris Davidson Photography
- Lindsey Haswell, co-founder and executive VP at Depot Global Inc.
- Mike Soenen ’92, partner at Valor Equity Partners
- Timasha Woods ’07, global human resources business partner at Amgen