Registration for Career Summit 2018 is now closed. Students who are interested in attending but have not registered are welcome to stop by the registration table in the Hicks Student Center atrium before the session they would like to attend. Walk-ins will be accepted as space permits, especially on Saturday. See the Career Summit schedule online by clicking on ‘Agenda.’
A distinguished group of alumni will join Silicon Valley executives and venture capitalists for Career Summit 2018. The event is two days of practical preparation April 6 and 7 for Life after K. Janete Perez, the co-founder of Present, continues our series of features highlighting our speakers for the event. To learn more, visit our Career Summit 2018 news story.
Co-Founder at Present
As a co-founder of Present, Janete Perez focuses on bringing Present to the masses and, overall, on the strategy for the company. She leads a team of rock star engineers and marketing mavens. Janete is passionate about creating spaces for women to connect, support each other and have impactful, meaningful conversations.
Before founding Present, Janete spent her career working at some of the world’s top technology companies. Most recently, she worked as a product manager for Messenger’s growth team at Facebook. Before Facebook, she was a senior product manager at Zynga, where she led teams across various verticals including analytics, machine learning and mobile. Janete also spent five years at Microsoft helping to advance projects within the Visual Studio team for Microsoft Expression.
Janete incorporates experiences in her career and applies the same dedication and motivation to her community involvement, volunteering and mentoring. She continues to help promote women’s right and advocates for diversity and inclusion in tech to drive innovation for our growing diverse communities. Janete is an active mentor for Sequoia’s Ascent program, which promotes inclusion of more women in the tech field. Janete also currently serves as co-lead for the Women’s March San Francisco Chapter, which is part of a national movement to unify and empower everyone who stands for human rights. She leads the technology and community programming committees and played a large part in organizing the second Women’s March “Hear Our Vote” this past January. During her free time, you’ll find Janete hiking, doing yoga and enjoying the outdoors. The most inspirational woman in her life? Her hard-working, single mother, who immigrated to the U.S. from Mexico when Janete was 3 years old.
Janete is a first-generation college student and earned a Bachelor of Science in computer science from Brown University. She is scheduled to speak during the following sessions of Career Summit 2018:
- Thriving as a Woman in the Workplace, 10 a.m. April 7
- Social Entrepreneurship: Finding Solutions to Community Problems, 10:45 a.m. April 7
- Serendipity: Making the Most of Unexpected Opportunities, 11:30 a.m. April 7
- Charting Your Course: How to Make the Most of the Career Summit, 1:30 p.m. April 7
Other Scheduled Speakers
- Bill Duane ’94, retired superintendent of well-being, Google
- Brad O’Neill ’93, CEO and co-founder, Depot Global Inc.
- Carolyn DeWitt ’04, president and executive director of Rock the Vote
- Drew Dumsch ’90, founder and president/CEO of The Ecology School
- Ed Hortelano ’83, global vice president of research and development at Loparex
- Esperanza Cantú ’11, project leader in the Data Planning and Evaluation Division at the Detroit Health Department
- Hilmon Sorey, managing director at ClozeLoop
- Kris Davidson, business owner, Kris Davidson Photography
- Lindsey Haswell, co-founder and executive VP at Depot Global Inc.
- Mike Soenen ’92, partner at Valor Equity Partners
- Timasha Woods ’07, global human resources business partner at Amgen