Registration for Career Summit 2018 is now closed. Students who are interested in attending but have not registered are welcome to stop by the registration table in the Hicks Student Center atrium before the session they would like to attend. Walk-ins will be accepted as space permits, especially on Saturday. See the Career Summit schedule online by clicking on ‘Agenda.’
A distinguished group of alumni will join Silicon Valley executives and venture capitalists for Career Summit 2018. The event is two days of practical preparation April 6 and 7 for Life after K. Drew Dumsch ’90, the founder and president/CEO of The Ecology School, continues our series of features highlighting our speakers for the event. To learn more, visit our Career Summit 2018 news story.
Drew Dumsch ’90
Founder and President/CEO, The Ecology School
Drew Dumsch is the founder and president/CEO of The Ecology School, a residential environmental learning center on the southern coast of Maine. Since its founding in 1998, The Ecology School has educated more than 175,000 children and adults and trained more than 350 ecology educators through the science of ecology and the practice of sustainability.
Drew is currently leading a capital campaign to purchase the 105-acre River Bend Farm in Saco, Maine, and over the next two years construct the most sustainable residential environmental learning center in the country. The Ecology School at River Bend Farm will include a full-scale agroecology farm operation, community environmental education programs, field ecology research and buildings constructed and certified under the Living Building Challenge and Living Community Challenge through the International Living Future Institute. River Bend Farm will be a 21st Century Education Center for Resilience, Healthy Communities and Conservation.
Drew has had leadership positions with the Maine Environmental Education Association and the New England Environmental Education Alliance and is also active with the North American Association of Environmental Education and the Residential Environmental Learning Centers national network. Drew earned his bachelor’s degree in English from Kalamazoo College and his master’s degree in English from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Drew is scheduled to speak during the following sessions of Career Summit 2018:
- Roadblocks and Potholes: Surmounting Inevitable Challenges, 8:30 a.m. April 7
- Start-Up 101: From Dream to Successful Venture, 10 a.m. April 7
- Social Entrepreneurship: Finding Solutions to Community Problems, 10:45 a.m. April 7
- Crafting a Whole Life: How Work Fits with Family, Community, Self-Care and Fun, 11:30 a.m. April 7
Other Scheduled Speakers
- Bill Duane ’94, retired superintendent of well-being, Google
- Brad O’Neill ’93, CEO and co-founder, Depot Global Inc.
- Carolyn DeWitt ’04, president and executive director of Rock the Vote
- Ed Hortelano ’83, global vice president of research and development at Loparex
- Esperanza Cantú ’11, project leader in the Data Planning and Evaluation Division at the Detroit Health Department
- Hilmon Sorey, managing director at ClozeLoop
- Janete Perez, co-founder at Present
- Kris Davidson, business owner, Kris Davidson Photography
- Lindsey Haswell, co-founder and executive VP at Depot Global Inc.
- Mike Soenen ’92, partner at Valor Equity Partners
- Timasha Woods ’07, global human resources business partner at Amgen