The Chinese program provides students with exposure to the language, literature, and culture of China. The multiple levels of Chinese language courses offer a balanced emphasis on listening, reading, writing, and speaking, establishing a good foundation for ongoing language study. Students may study abroad in China or take part in other forms of advanced study to continue developing their language skills. Chinese Studies courses (in English) acquaint students with Chinese literary works and their social, political, and cultural contexts.
Due to the overlap in requirements, it is not possible for students to major in East Asian Studies and minor in Chinese or Japanese unless they are pursuing coursework in both languages.
Leihua Weng, Chinese Endowed Assistant Professor of Chinese Language and Literature. BA Zhejiang University MA Peking University PhD University of South Carolina
Yanshuo Zhang, Assistant Professor of Chinese. BA St. Catherine University PhD Stanford University
- K has appointed 10 faculty members as endowed chairs. These positions are funded through the annual earnings from an endowed gift to the College. The post K Honors 10 Faculty Members as Endowed Chairs appeared first on News and Events.
- A $500,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities will help fortify Kalamazoo College’s language programs through the American Rescue Plan. The post Language Programs Receive $500,000 Grant appeared first on News and Events.
- A Kalamazoo College representative is enhancing his skills in Chinese this summer through a U.S. Department of State Critical Language Scholarship (CLS). Daniel Mota-Villegas ’21 is among about 700 scholars currently in the CLS program, which actively recruits in regions that have been historically under-represented in international education. The opportunity enables those chosen to gain […]
- A Chicago business executive and Kalamazoo College alumna has earned an honor that puts her in the company of previous recipients as notable as entrepreneur Oprah Winfrey, former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and former U.S. President Barack Obama. Young-Jin Chang ’06, the managing director and global head of metals at CME Group, is a 2019 […]
- Two new study abroad programs in 2019 will provide Kalamazoo College students with intercultural experience opportunities in global internships and civic engagement. The first, available in winter term 2019, will allow students to work with museums and schools in Oaxaca, Mexico, through a partnership with K’s Center for Civic Engagement. Students will facilitate arts-focused projects […]