Kalamazoo College’s Center for Career and Professional Development seeks alumni and friends interested in helping students to gain the experience and networks that will advance their career aspirations.
There are three ways to get involved, according to Joan Hawxhurst, director of the CCPD.
1. Hosting a student through the Discovery Externship Program enables alumni to share their professional and home lives with current K students interested in exploring a career. Externships allow first-year and sophomore students to live and work with a sponsor for one to four weeks in the summer. Students and hosts build relationships that have the potential to be meaningful and long lasting.Now through December, the CCPD is lining up extern hosts for summer 2017. Persons interested in learning more and perhaps hosting a student next summer, should take a moment to complete a brief survey.
2. Volunteers can source and share summer internship opportunities. In a competitive job market, said Hawxhurst, candidates need workplace experience, and summer internships are a great way for current K students to distinguish themselves. Does your workplace have a strong internship program? Do you have information about an internship that would be a great fit for a K student? The CCPD can help you share internship information with students.
3. You can join the Kalamazoo College Professional Networking Group (KPNG) on LinkedIn. This group of more than 2,700 members of the extended K community are networking and sharing career-related advice and connections. Some offer to review a student’s résumé; others accept an invitation for an informational interview; still others host short job-shadow visits to their workplaces. The KPNG allows you to engage from anywhere on the globe and to give the amount of time that works for you.
After viewing your LinkedIn profile, students might seek your contact information through the College’s online alumni directory.
Please be sure your contact information is up to date there. It’s easy with the steps below.
1. Go to the alumni directory page.
2. Log in with your username and password. If you don’t have one yet, click on register now.
3. Go to Update Profile. You will have the option to sync with your LinkedIn profile.
4. Check the boxes under Visibility to Students to select how a student can contact you.
5. Update your employment information under the heading Professional.
6. Click on Update to save your preferences.
A strong professional network is one of the distinctive and lifelong benefits of a Kalamazoo College education.