The mission of our department and curriculum is to educate students in the field of biology and foster a community of learning and practice. Our approaches are embedded in the context of a Kalamazoo College liberal arts education. Through our courses, research collaborations, advising, and departmental experiences, we help all students find their place in science and develop a biologist’s keen awareness of the natural world. Specifically, our goal is that all students who participate in Biology will:
- feel curious about the natural world and empathetic toward our shared environment;
- know what has been discovered about the natural world, the process by which such knowledge is gained, and how to evaluate competing claims;
- identify as new members of an interdependent community whose goal is to address socially relevant problems and questions; and
- continually apply/practice newfound knowledge and skills via career exploration, problem solving, research, communication, and teamwork.
Anne Engh, Director of Biology Labs and Assistant Professor of Biology. BS, Iowa State University PhD, Michigan State University
Ann Fraser (Chair), Professor of Biology. BSc Acadia University, Nova Scotia PhD Harvard University
Binney Girdler, Professor of Biology. BA University of Virginia MES Yale University PhD Princeton University
Jim Langeland, Upjohn Professor of Life Sciences. BA Kalamazoo College PhD University of Wisconsin
Blaine Moore, Professor of Biology. BS University of North Florida PhD University of Florida
Kyle Morrison, Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology and Head Coach of Cross Country. BA Hope College PhD Michigan State University
Isabel Pena y Valenzuela, Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology. BS, PhD University of La Laguna, Spain
Santiago Salinas, Associate Professor of Biology. BA College of the Atlantic PhD Stony Brook University
Vijayan Sundararaj, Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology. BSc Gujarat University MsC Ben-Gurion University PhD Lakehead University
Amanda Wollenberg, Associate Professor of Biology . BA St. Olaf College PhD University of Wisconsin, Madison
Michael Wollenberg, Associate Professor of Biology. BA Swarthmore College PhD University of Wisconsin
- A job at a Kalamazoo lab through the COVID-19 pandemic has helped Maddy Harding '22 boost her science skills, benefiting her Senior Integrated Project. The post Biology Student Gains Skills, Perspective Working at Kalamazoo Lab appeared first on News and Events.
- A student’s research has encouraged Associate Professor of Biology Santiago Salinas to extend Hancock’s inquiries overseas through the Fulbright program. The post Student’s Research Leads Faculty Member to Fulbright Program Nod appeared first on News and Events.
- Two biology faculty members, a K student and an Oberlin College student from Kalamazoo have helped a study prove that humans are altering evolution. The post Global Study with K Ties: Humans Alter Evolution appeared first on News and Events.
- Will Keller ’23 had a Big Year of birding in 2021 and he’s ready to tell the Audubon Society of Kalamazoo about it at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, February 28. The post Hundreds of Birds Plus Thousands of Miles Equals Student’s Big Year appeared first on News and Events.
- Grace Hancock '22 is a great example of a woman in science the U.N. celebrates every February 11 on the International Day of Women and Girls in Science. The post Women in Science: Student’s Research Signals Trouble With Climate Change for Fish appeared first on News and Events.