Enrollment at Kalamazoo College


Credit is measured in terms of “units.” In most cases, a course is equivalent to a single unit. Exceptions include some laboratory courses and a limited number of partial credit courses.

Each Kalamazoo College unit is equivalent to 5 quarter hours or 3.33 semester

Course Load

Kalamazoo College is on the quarter system. Each quarter is composed of ten weeks of class plus an examination period for a total of eleven weeks. Students normally carry a course load of three academic units per quarter. (Academic units do not include physical education units.) This course load enables a student to complete all graduation requirements (36 academic units and 1 physical education unit) within 12 quarters.

Students may also, in certain circumstances, underload or overload.


Students may choose to underload (take less than three units) in a given quarter in consultation with their advisor, the Office of Financial Aid, and the Registrar. Students who are registered for fewer than 2.4 units are not considered fulltime, are ineligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics, and may be ineligible for certain forms of financial aid and insurance coverage. Students who have brought in credits/units from AP, IB, dual enrollment, or transfer may not apply these units toward a specific quarter to offset an underload. Students may carry fewer than two units only under exceptional circumstances, as judged appropriate by the Dean of Students.


Students may be allowed to overload (register for four or more units in a single quarter) after completion of their first quarter of enrollment on a space available basis (as determined by the Registrar) and on the condition that the following requirements are met:

  • First year students: A minimum cumulative GPA of 4.00 and advisor approval are required. First-year students may not overload in their first quarter of enrollment.
  • Second year students: A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50 and advisor approval are required.
  • Third year students and seniors: No minimum GPA is required; however, students on academic probation may not overload, and seniors may not overload in their SIP quarter. Advisor approval is required.

Residency Requirement

A minimum of 18 full-unit courses must be completed at Kalamazoo College, including 6 of the last 12 courses*. These minimum units exclude units earned on Study Abroad, study away (including GLCA programs), and interinstitutional registration.

*Students on approved programs for 3/2 engineering are not subject to the requirement that 6 of the last 12 course must be at Kalamazoo College.