3/2 Engineering Program

Professor: Askew

The dual degree program in engineering consists of three years of study at Kalamazoo College followed by approximately two years at an approved school of engineering. While at Kalamazoo, students complete the language requirement, physical education requirement, and Shared Passages First-Year and Sophomore Seminar requirements, along with specific science and mathematics course work. Students in the 3/2 program are excused from the SIP. Students must have 27 units of academic credit and one unit of PE before leaving Kalamazoo College. They then transfer to an engineering program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Upon completion of sufficient work at that institution to satisfy the remaining requirements for a Kalamazoo College degree, those credits are transferred back to Kalamazoo College and the Kalamazoo Bachelor of Arts degree is awarded. Students in the 3/2 program are required to meet the Shared Passages Senior Capstone requirement by working with the Director of the program at Kalamazoo College to identify a single capstone course at the approved school that reasonably fits the published Senior Capstone guidelines. Upon transfer of the credit for this course back to Kalamazoo College, the student will have completed the Senior Capstone requirement. When the remainder of the specified work for the student’s particular field of engineering has been completed, the Bachelor of Science in engineering is awarded from the engineering school.

The college is a dual degree affiliate of Washington University St. Louis (WUSL). This relationship eases the transfer process and provides access to supplemental financial aid funds at WUSL. In addition to a dual degree BA/BS level program, WUSL provides an unusual dual-degree into master’s level program in engineering. Transfer to other engineering programs approved by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) is both possible and encouraged. In recent years Kalamazoo students have transferred into engineering programs at a variety of public universities with the most popular choices being Michigan Tech, Western Michigan University, Oakland University and the University of Michigan. Kalamazoo financial aid does not transfer to other schools, but some public universities have transfer scholarships that are added to their awards of need-based financial aid. Course and GPA requirements for transfer into these programs vary, and may change at any time.