Foreign Language Learning and Proficiency

Kalamazoo College is dedicated not only to international education and study abroad but also to proficiency in a second language. All students consequently are required to demonstrate at least an intermediate--‐level proficiency in a language other than English.

Proficiency in any language offered by the College can be demonstrated by completing the third language course (numbered 103 or 201, depending on the language) in any sequence or by scoring at a proficiency level determined by the department on an examination developed or approved by the College. Kalamazoo College regularly offers Chinese, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, Latin and Spanish. Please see individual department policy regarding whether/how credit earned from the College Board Advanced Placement examinations and International Baccalaureate examinations applies to the language requirement in that particular language.

Students wishing to satisfy the College language requirement by taking a language not taught on campus are responsible for 1). Finding another University or College that offers the language and 2) successfully completing a course (or courses) in that language at the intermediate level. Before registering, the student must have the course (or courses) approved by the Registrar's Office.

Students who are at least partially bilingual in a language taught on campus should take the College's placement test and score at a proficiency level determined by that language department. Students who are at least partially bilingual in a language not taught on campus and whose formal secondary education was exclusively in English may fulfill the language requirement by demonstrating intermediate-level literacy skills in that language. A written essay test will be administered on campus and rated by a person fluent in that language. A reasonable effort will be made to provide this option to students requesting it.

Students whose formal secondary education was not exclusively in English may request to certify that they had at least two years of secondary education in a school which teaches at least 50% of its content in a language other than English. Students should contact the Registrar's Office to request such certification.

This Academic Catalog is current as of Jul 09, 2020

An official catalog is produced each summer for the following academic year and stored in the Archives section of this site. These versions are used for degree audits. Throughout the year, approved changes are incorporated immediately. Updates that have been submitted and approved by early summer will be included in the archival catalog for the next academic year in mid-summer.