General Transfer Credit Policies

New Transfer Students
Determination of transfer credit will be made at the time of enrollment. All credit is awarded by the Registrar in consultation with departmental faculty. Transfer students must meet all Kalamazoo College degree requirements, including the Residency Requirement.

Transfer Credit Policies
All transfer credits must be earned from a regionally accredited institution with a grade of C or above (C- is not acceptable). Credit transferred in from other institutions is not used in the calculation of the Kalamazoo College cumulative grade point average (GPA).

Transfer units may be used to satisfy the language and physical education requirements. Transfer students who have, prior to admission, already taken a first-year seminar or English composition course similar in content to the first-year seminar at Kalamazoo College may apply that course toward the first-year seminar requirement. Transfer units may not be used to satisfy the sophomore or senior Shared Passage Seminar or cultures requirements. Transfer units may be used toward majors, minors, and concentrations at the discretion of the faculty in the associated department or program.

All work to be considered for transfer credit must be submitted on an official transcript sent directly from the transfer institution to Kalamazoo College or in a sealed envelope with the registrar’s signature across the seal. The College reserves the right to deny transfer, Advanced Placement, or International Baccalaureate credit not reported within the first year of enrollment.

Advanced Placement (AP)/International Baccalaureate (IB)/A-Level Credit

Upon enrollment at Kalamazoo College, students will be granted one unit of credit toward graduation for each subject area in which they earn a score of 4 or 5 on the College Board Advancement Placement Examination or a score of 5 or higher on the Higher Level examinations of the International Baccalaureate. Credit may also be  granted by the Registrar at the time of enrollment for General Certification of Education, Advanced Level (A-Level) examinations with grades of C or better. Placement or credit toward a major, minor, or concentration may also be granted at the discretion of the department or program; a table of examples for various subject areas may be found online under Academics and Admission. No placement or transfer credits may be used to satisfy sophomore or senior Shared Passage Seminar or cultures requirements.

Dual Enrollment Credit

Dual enrollment credit is credit taken at a regionally accredited institution of higher education while a student is still in high school. While this credit may have been used to satisfy high school diploma requirements, it must have been taken at an  accredited institution of higher education. All general transfer credit policies apply to dual enrollment credit. Students bringing dual enrollment credit into Kalamazoo College will be classified as first-year students for the entire first academic year and will be required to follow all policies in effect for first-year students.