How to Give Securities

Your gift of stocks, bonds, or other publicly traded securities entitles you to a charitable deduction equal to the full fair market value of the securities on the date of the gift, provided you have owned the securities for more than one year. There is no capital gains tax on the transfer of such appreciated securities to Kalamazoo College. It is generally more advantageous to sell depreciated securities, take a loss on your income tax return, and donate the proceeds.

Kalamazoo College welcomes gifts of securities. To transfer securities electronically, you and/or your broker should contact Tim Baker, Director of Advancement Services, at or 269.337.5729 to obtain the appropriate account information. Your gift will be valued by using the mean of the high and low of the stock on the day that it passes to Kalamazoo College’s control.

You may hand deliver stock certificates to Kalamazoo College. Our Business Office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. As the College offices are closed on and around some holidays, please call 269.337.7229 to ensure staff availability.

Finally, you may send unendorsed stock certificates to directly to Kalamazoo College, preferably by registered mail. You MUST include a signed transmittal letter indicating your name(s) exactly as it/they appear on the certificates. A signed stock power form [PDF, 14Kb] executed in blank (no named transferee) must be mailed separately with a copy of the transmittal letter. Please contact a Development Office staff member for assistance in executing this process.