Priority 1: Enhance the distinctiveness of a Kalamazoo College education
Innovative curricular and co-curricular programs will provide our students with an experience in which the elements more clearly cohere and reinforce one another. We have proposed several new programs:
Most notably through the K-Plan, Kalamazoo College's hallmark has long been the thorough integration of experiential learning —
study abroad, career exploration, senior independent projects — into a rigorous liberal arts curriculum.
The creation of a Center for Experiential Education will allow the College to combine new and existing activities in ways that invite students
to discover new and unexpected connections:
- Globally focused core seminars designed to foster integration of study abroad with the on-campus curriculum.
- An optional global studies minor obtained by taking the core seminars in combination with a foreign language
and study abroad.
- Interdisciplinary minors that will allow students to examine a topic of their choosing from multiple
- Additional opportunities for incoming students to experience Kalamazoo College's unique focus on experiential
learning. Like Land/Sea, these "bridge" programs will be designed to set the stage and prepare them for their four years.
- Guilds, interdisciplinary communities of practice that will bring together alumni, students, faculty and staff
who share a common interest in a broadly defined area. These voluntary associations will provide opportunities for
networking, professional development, and the collective exploration of issues.
- Integrate the outstanding work of the Center for International Programs, Center for Career Development
and the Mary Jane
Underwood Stryker Institute for Service Learning with Guilds and student leadership development to provide a more holistic
educational experience for students.
- Share K's outstanding work in experiential education more broadly, enhancing our visibility nationally and
- Foster faculty development, pedagogical innovation and scholarship in experiential education.