Engaging students, faculty, and community members in sustained partnerships that foster collaborative learning and civic participation in a diverse, democratic society
The programs of the The Mary Jane Underwood Stryker Center for Civic Engagement strengthen the community and promote academic learning, personal growth and civic responsibility among our students. Some course-based service-learning projects only occur during a 10-week quarter; most projects are ongoing and take place within the context of reciprocal partnerships with not-for-profit agencies, public schools, government entities and grassroots efforts. Many partnership endeavors span both academic service-learning and co-curricular work in order to provide continuity and cohesiveness.
“Be not simply good; be good for something.”
~ Henry David Thoreau
About two thirds of K students work in these initiatives during their careers at K, through community-engaged courses and ongoing, student-led projects that address pressing, complex issues in Kalamazoo. They earn minimum wage through federal work study placements or work as “volunteers,” committing to at least three hours per week throughout the term. Most work the full academic year.
These ongoing co-curricular programs are coordinated (and frequently designed) by K student leaders, who hold Civic Engagement Scholarships. All students who participate in service-learning programs are required to attend structured reflection sessions and workshops in order to learn from their community experiences and connect them to issues of social justice.
Civic Engagement News
- A nonpartisan initiative is saluting Kalamazoo College as one of 394 U.S. institutions doing the most in higher education to encourage student voting. […]
- A Community Building Internship through the Center for Civic Engagement helped Anna Canales ’23 serve her community and find a potential future path. […]
- Three employees and the Mary Jane Underwood Center for Civic Engagement received honors Friday at K’s Founders Day event, marking K’s 189th year. […]
- The CCE offers diverse opportunities for students seeking a leadership role in engaging with the local community as a civic engagement scholar. The […]
- A theatrical performance at Kalamazoo College that shares student interviews with members of the Southwest Michigan community will explore the deeper meaning of […]