Now accepting applications through October 5, 2021.
The class agent position is a unique two-part volunteer opportunity. The primary role during senior year is to help generate financial support for the Kalamazoo College Fund within your class and build relationships with as many members of the class as possible. As alumni, the role will involve maintaining relationships with classmates and encouraging them to stay connected with the College by making an annual financial gift and other meaningful forms of engagement.
Who are class agents?
There are more than 140 alumni currently serving as class agents and they span the globe and the decades from the 1950s to the Class of 2021. Class agents form one of the College’s largest alumni volunteer networks, making it a great way to network and connect with alumni.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Participate in ongoing training sessions during fall, winter and spring quarters to help you prepare to talk to your peers about how gifts to the Kalamazoo College Fund create access and opportunities for students.
- Have conversations with classmates about making their first gift to K during senior year and ask for the suggested gift amount of $20.22. This gift amount can be split between the Kalamazoo College Fund and another area of giving interest.
- Write and deliver thank you messages throughout the academic year to seniors who made a gift.
- Participate in regular status meetings with Kalamazoo College Fund staff to discuss progress towards the senior gift goal. Collaborate with other senior class agents to help ensure a successful 2022 Senior Gift Challenge.
- Help organize fundraising engagement events for seniors and be in attendance as a representative of the Kalamazoo College Fund to help facilitate giving among your peers.
Time commitment during senior year
- Weekly meetings and training. At some point during the year these meetings may become bi-weekly.
- Set a minimum of one hour aside each week to speak with potential donors, take notes and track progress.
- Attend all fundraising events.
- Fall kickoff in November.
- Winter event near the start of the calendar year.
- Spring event.
- Senior Gift Challenge donation event in the spring.
- Announce success of Senior Gift Challenge at spring event on the Quad and at commencement rehearsal.
- Maintain your personal giving to the College with a gift to the Kalamazoo College Fund. We encourage you to give to other interests in addition to a gift to the Kalamazoo College Fund.
- Write a fundraising letter to your classmates on an annual basis.
- Attend and encourage others to attend alumni events and class reunions.
- Assist in planning reunion events and reunion giving solicitations.
- Keep in touch with classmates and encourage them to keep their information updated in the K Alumni Directory so they can stay connected with the College, classmates and other K alumni.
- Thank donor classmates for their generosity through hand-written notes, emails, social media, and/or phone calls/texts to extend gratitude and encourage annual giving.
- Encourage your classmates to provide the College with up-to-date contact information.
- Support Kalamazoo College Fund appeals, in particular the Day of Gracious Giving, through social media and other outreach.
- Keep classmates up to date on all things K.
- Have an interest in representing the College, the Kalamazoo College Fund and fundraising initiatives to support Financial Aid, Faculty Excellence and Resources and K’s Highest Priorities.
- Comfortable starting conversations with friends and other classmates about financially supporting the College by making their first gift to K.
- Comfortable with being an advocate for giving and the importance of philanthropy to K.
- Comfortable asking for donations of $5 or more.
- The ability to handle rejection and continue to reach out to peers with a positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently and as an active member of a team.
- Possesses an energetic, outgoing, and friendly demeanor.
- Persuasive, goal-oriented and self-motivated.
- An interest in building class unity.
- Make a gift prior to the launch of the Senior Gift Challenge in the amount of $5 or more. The gift amount many seniors choose is $20.22 to commemorate their graduation year. You may split your gift between the Kalamazoo College Fund and another priority of interest. Your gift will help set the tone for the Senior Class gift.
- Understand that you are working with the Kalamazoo College Fund (KCF) and your goal is to primarily help others learn about the impact a gift to KCF has on K students.
- Work to achieve the Senior Gift Challenge goal.
- Attend events and meetings.
- Sign a confidentiality agreement upon receiving the position.
The deadline to submit your application is Monday, October 5, 2021.