The class agent position is a unique two-part volunteer opportunity.
As a senior, your primary role is to:
- Help educate your classmates on how philanthropy supports their current experience as Kalamazoo College students.
- Build lasting relationships with members of your class to carry into your alumni years.
As an alum, your role will involve maintaining relationships with classmates and encouraging them to stay connected with the College through meaningful forms of engagement.
Who are Class Agents?
There are about 140 alumni currently serving as class agents and they span the globe and the decades from the 1950s to the Class of 2022. Class agents form one of the College’s largest alumni volunteer networks, making it a great way for you to network and connect with alumni.
Class Agent Responsibilities during your Senior Year
- Participate in training sessions during Spring Quarter 2023 to help you prepare to talk to your peers about how gifts to the Kalamazoo College Fund create access and how philanthropy to K supports their student experience.
- Encourage seniors to make a gift in the suggested amount of $20.23. This gift amount can be split between the Kalamazoo College Fund and another area of giving interest.
- Make your own gift in the suggested amount of $20.23 to the Kalamazoo College Fund. You can also split your gift to include an additional giving interest.
- Participate in a few meetings with Kalamazoo College Fund staff to receive training about campus resources, philanthropy and College Advancement. Collaborate with other senior class agents to help ensure philanthropy through financial support.
- Help organize events for seniors and be in attendance as a representative of the Kalamazoo College Fund to help facilitate giving and engagement among your peers. The Senior Gift Event will occur on Seventh Week Wednesday, May 10, 2023 from 5-6:30 p.m. in the Hornets Suite, Kalamazoo College Fieldhouse. President Jorge Gonzalez will join the Class of 2023 for this event. Class Agents will be asked to participate from 4:30-7 p.m. The event will also share ways to stay engaged with K through events and volunteer opportunities.
Class Agent Responsibilities as an Alum
- Maintain your personal giving to the College with an annual gift to the Kalamazoo College Fund. We encourage you to give to other interests in addition to a gift to the Kalamazoo College Fund.
- Write a fundraising letter to your classmates on an annual basis beginning in 2024.
- Attend and encourage others to attend alumni events.
- Assist in planning reunion events and reunion giving solicitations every five years.
- Keep in touch with classmates and encourage them to keep their information updated in the K Alumni Directory so they can stay connected with the College, classmates and other K alumni.
- Thank donor classmates for their generosity through hand-written notes, emails, social media, and/or phone calls/texts to extend gratitude and encourage annual giving.
- Serve as an advocate for the Day of Gracious Giving and Kalamazoo College Fund appeals through social media and other outreach.
- Keep classmates up to date on all things K.
- Have an interest in building class unity as seniors and after graduation as alumni.
- Be willing to represent the College, the Kalamazoo College Fund and fundraising initiatives to support Financial Aid, Faculty Excellence and Resources and K’s Highest Priorities.
- Be comfortable starting conversations with friends and classmates about financially supporting the College by making their first gift to K.
- Possess an energetic, outgoing and friendly demeanor.
- Be able to work independently and as an active member of a class agent team.
- Complete and submit the Class Agent Application by Spring Quarter, First Week Friday, March 31, 2023 by 5 p.m. ET.
- Make a gift prior to the launch of the Senior Gift Campaign in the suggested amount of $20.23. You may split your gift between the Kalamazoo College Fund and another priority of interest. Your gift will help set the tone for the Class of 2023 Senior Gift Campaign.
- Understand that you are working with the Kalamazoo College Fund (KCF) and your goal is to primarily help others learn about the impact a gift to KCF has on K students.
- Attend the May 10, 2023 Senior Gift Event and class agent meetings during Spring Quarter 2023.
- Sign a confidentiality agreement upon receiving the position.
The Kalamazoo College Fund staff will support your training and serve as a resource throughout your time as a class agent. For more information about the role and to answer your questions, please contact:
Associate Director, Kalamazoo College Fund
Coordinator, President’s Student Ambassadors