IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The best way to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool that is part of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web. When filing your 2018-19 FAFSA you can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to automatically load your 2016 tax data directly into your FAFSA. Navigate to the Financial Information sections of the form and follow the instructions to determine whether you are eligible to use the IRS Retrieval Tool.
Online tax return transcript request
- Available on the IRS Web site.
- Select ‘Order a Return or Account Transcript.”
- Enter your Social Security Number, date of birth, home address and postal code (from tax return).
- In the Type of Transcript field, select “IRS tax return transcript” and in the Tax Year field, select 2016.
- If successfully validated, you can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in your online request within 5 to 10 days from the time the online request was successfully transmitted to the IRS.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested online cannot be directly sent to a third party.
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- You must follow the prompts to enter your Social Security Number and address.
- Select “Option 2” to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter the year.
- If successfully validated, you can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address used in the request withing 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested by phone cannot be sent directly to a third party.
Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ
This form allows you to designate a third party to have the tax transcript directly mailed to.