Skip to Main Content



Requirements for the Minor in Japanese

Number of Units
Six units are required.

Required Courses
JAPN 103 Beginning Japanese III, or its approved equivalent.

Three more Kalamazoo College units (or their equivalent) of upper-level Japanese language courses through at least the JAPN 203 level. These may comprise JAPN 201, 202, 203; equivalent units earned during study abroad; or other approved alternatives. Students who repeat the beginning level of language [100 level equivalent] on study abroad, after having taken the first-year sequence on campus already, will be required to take one more language course on campus upon return, at the level in which they place. One Japanese literature in translation course, taken on campus (JAPN 235-239). One other Japanese studies course (may include an approved course taken during study abroad).