K- Walking

By Ogden Wright

Drawing on inspiration from the sketch “Jay Walking” on the popular night time television show “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” K-Walking serves as our weekly feature where we ask students from our campus community a series of questions with the intention of eliciting their opinions and gauging the mood on campus with respect to the questions asked.

It would be fair to say that Kalamazoo College has invested a significant amount of time and money in the promotion of social justice in conjunction with the Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership.

The mood on campus among students, however, does not seem to reflect this importance. When questioned on the role of the Arcus Center and its promotion of social justice, they expressed very candid views. Below are some excerpts from these conversations.

“They should put a food court in there…I have no idea what the Arcus Center does, but they should have a McDonalds in there. I mean, what is it for? Nobody knows.”

“Our social justice is incredibly one sided…it doesn’t allow for people to express themselves comfortably. I know many people feel bullied by it because they don’t share the same opinion. The attitude from the people there is that if you don’t agree with us, you’re a bad person.”

“I think there is social justice, and I feel social justice as viewed by K College is very liberal.”

“To put it in a nutshell, it’s just political correctness to the point where you’re scared to talk.”

“It takes up parking space.”

“I am not convinced that social justice is necessarily a good thing on this campus…”

“I think it has a lot of potential that has not been met.”

“I feel like a lot of people involved in the Arcus Center do have hands-on experience, and I feel like a lot of people involved with social justice, they have the right ideas, I guess, on what’s right and what’s wrong, but I’m not gonna say they are doing anything and changing anything. Sometimes it seems like an exercise in futility.”

“They have this idea of how you should be absolutely perfect.”