Print is Dead: Moving to Online Sources in Academia

By Emily Pizza, Opinions Editor

If I have one more professor tell me I need a print source for my paper I am going to scream. The idea that when writing a paper, one needs at least one published source (whether that be a book or article) is completely ridiculous, considering the time period we live in.

Print is dead. I hate to say it, I love the newspaper and books as much as the next person, but print is dead.

In 2011, Amazon reported to the New York Times that their customers buy more E-books than print books, and yes, I found this statistic on the internet. In the article, it says that “E-book sales in March were $69 million, an increase of 146 percent from the year before.” Also, “Sales of adult hardcover books grew 6 percent while paperback sales decreased nearly 8 percent.”

And this was in 2011. Today, the trend continues.

The point is that as the public ignores print books more and more, more people are publishing their works on the internet. Newspapers are moving strictly online and research magazines are solely web-based.. Millions of writers are leaving print behind, but according to some K professors, their work is not equivalent to writers who cut down trees to get their point across.

I just don’t understand why we can accept phones that can give us information at the blink of an eye, but we can’t accept writers who are strictly online. It just doesn’t make sense.

It’s time for a web-revolution, webolution.

Ten years ago, the internet couldn’t be trusted. To be fair, a lot of it still can’t be trusted, but the internet has since moved toward a better and more reliable way of curating information.

Legitimate scientific findings and historical critiques can be found by putting a few words into a search engine. Paperless knowledge is closer than ever to our fingertips.

Instead we start of labeling the internet as a “place of lies,” how about accepting it as a paperless library? Instead of trekking across campus to Upjohn, how about opening your laptop, pulling up Google, and searching for your paper topic.

Instead of wandering through endless shelves just find a book with one page that applies to your topic, and that’s only if the library carries it, Google pulls up the one page you need, along with citation information.

In an age of technology, it’s time to say goodbye to print, regardless of how attached one may be. The internet is education’s future, and it’s high time we embraced it.