A Hornet vs. The Parking Lot

By Scott Brent, Contributor

Brent starts a parking revolution. Photo by Ben Baker

The roads in the Kalamazoo area are insane.  My car is pitted against tanks who know the area, where to go and how to get there.  I, on the other hand, have no sense of direction on campus or even back home.  On a Saturday night, I stepped on the pedal and boldly drove where many have gone before: into parking violation territory.      

Days were cruising by, with too much work to do and little time to drive anywhere.  On the sixth day in the books, my car was teepeed with unreasonably priced tickets.  The authorities plastered my windshield with motive to slaughter my piggy bank. 

Addressing all college students, we are aware of the situational damage losing 120 dollars poses, yes?

I could not admit to the penalty, for it damaged my credibility as a driver and the emotional pride of my suburban engine.  I had my game face on as I stepped into the the security office.  This might have been out of line for someone my age, but I told a regulation manager: “I would have appreciated a phone call if your officers found my car to be public enemy number one, time and time again.” 

There was indication of a Trowbridge parking lot traffic sign that was sixty or seventy feet from my parking spot, but it was barely identifiable: “No Overnight Parking”. Even worse was that there was an arrow, encompassing all of the lots within the row from where the sign stood. 

It seems like rather than putting individual signs to warn drivers of impending financial doom, Kalamazoo’s parking regulation has become a corrupt cash cow.  It was not long after, that I received another ticket near the RA Living Learning House for parking overnight on a Sunday, which a nearby sign clearly explained I could do, within the hours of 10:00pm to 6:00am. 

From personal experience, repealing such fines requires sincere apology with a firm held belief that change in the system is necessary. The ability for students to park on campus requires resolustion, not more paper pushing in th form of parking tickets.