Established by friends and family to honor George Acker, a coach, teacher and mentor who believed in the potential of others and had a profound influence on the lives of many. The first in his family to attend college, Coach Acker had a far-reaching presence at Kalamazoo College – teaching physical education classes and coaching tennis, football, wrestling and cross-country.
While George wore many hats on campus his most noted accomplishments happened on the tennis courts. Among the many accolades earned during his legendary 35-year career at Kalamazoo are:
- The most successful men’s tennis coach in NCAA Division III history.
- 35 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) championships.
- The most MIAA conference championships for a single sport.
- Seven national championships
- Two time NCAA Division III Tennis Coach of the Year
- 1980’s NCAA Division III Tennis Coach of the Decade.
- Fourth in the nation among all Division I, II and III tennis coaches with the most NCAA titles.
The George Acker Endowed Scholarship recognizes juniors or seniors who best exemplify the admirable qualities and outstanding character of George Acker, which include
- Exceptional work ethic
- A genuine commitment to K through involvement in campus activities
- A high standard of integrity
Preference will be given to students who are the first in their families to attend college.