The Kalamazoo College Fitness and Wellness Center is one of the most important priorities of The Campaign for Kalamazoo College. Simply put, it is an indispensable element of an education that addresses the fullness of human experience. The significance of physical activity in the lives of our students is evidenced by their participation in the following:
- Nearly half the student body is involved in intercollegiate or intramural sports
- The many student organizations that focus on the body and movement such as; Frelon, Cirque du K, the Badminton club, K-Cheer etc.
- A wide variety of physical education courses including; various forms of dance; martial arts, fencing; and circus arts.
The current fitness facilities consist of a 2,500 square foot weight room for students; and a 600 square foot converted squash court housing exercise equipment for faculty and staff. There is no dedicated space for dance. Group wellness classes such as yoga and Pilates are typically held in multi-purpose rooms in the Upjohn Library Commons or the Hicks Center. A new fitness and wellness center will bring healthy activities for the entire campus community together under one roof.
Sited adjacent to the Markin racquet complex, the new 33,000 square foot, two-story center, with an estimated cost of $7 million, will house:
- A weight and cardio fitness area of sufficient capacity to meet the needs of all students and employees
- 4 large multi-purpose rooms
- A dance studio
- 2 Racquetball courts
- Expanded locker rooms (for general use and for the K tennis teams)
- Offices for the men’s and women’s tennis coaches
- Space for the George Acker Tennis Hall of Champions
- A seminar/meeting room, expanded storage areas
- Office and assessment room for the campus wellness director
It is time to develop a common space in which the entire campus community is supported in the development of healthy life styles through fitness and wellness programs. We hope that you will share our vision and help us to achieve this important goal by contributing online to the Fitness and Wellness Center. See naming opportunities here.
If you have questions or would like to discuss other methods of giving, please submit an inquiry here.