The campus is full of musical activity. We have three choirs, a jazz band, a concert band, a full symphony orchestra, private instrumental and vocal instruction, a chamber music program, and several international percussion ensembles.
And our offerings are part of a larger tapestry of vibrant music-making in greater Kalamazoo. You’ll find a professional orchestra, an active downtown jazz scene, a world-class chamber music series, and the Gilmore Festival, North America’s largest biennial gathering of keyboard artists.
Even if you do not plan to major in music, we want accomplished musicians on our campus, and we encourage you to include supplementary materials with your application.
To do so, please use the Common Application’s Arts Supplement as your guide. They (and we here at Kalamazoo College) ask you to:
- fill out the short Common Application’s brief Arts Supplement form
- include a letter of recommendation from a musical instructor (this step is optional but welcome for “K” College)
- demonstrate your technical ability and range of lyrical facility by either:
- sending a 10-minute CD or DVD of you performing two or more contrasting works. Online submissions, such as links to YouTube videos, are also accepted.
- participating in a live audition during a visit to campus. Although recorded performances are perfectly acceptable, we do prefer to hear a live audition and have the opportunity to meet with you in person.
To schedule an on-campus audition, please contact the Office of Admission at (800) 253-3602.
- participating in a real-time Skype audition. This option is geared toward those students whose location may prevent a campus visit. To request a Skype audition, please contact Lara Gallant at email@example.com or call (800) 253-3602.Live and Skype auditions can only be considered for portfolio review if completed in advance of the respective application deadline. Those participating in live or Skype auditions should make note of this on their Common Application Arts Supplement, which may be completed before or after your audition.
- attach and/or send a resume that summarizes your playing history (significant repertoire, leadership positions, festivals, awards, etc.)
Please send your materials to:
Office of Admission
1200 Academy Street
Kalamazoo MI 49006
Your materials will be carefully reviewed by our professional faculty.
Find out more about our Music Program here