The campus is full of musical activity. We have three choirs, a jazz band, a concert band, a full symphony orchestra, private instrumental and vocal instruction, a chamber music program, and several international percussion ensembles.
And our offerings are part of a larger tapestry of vibrant music-making in greater Kalamazoo. You’ll find a professional orchestra, an active downtown jazz scene, a world-class chamber music series, and the Gilmore Festival, North America’s largest biennial gathering of keyboard artists.
Even if you do not plan to major in music, we want accomplished musicians on our campus, and we encourage you to include supplementary materials with your application.
To submit an Arts Supplement, please submit the following materials online through SlideRoom:
- A current resume of music study, teachers, ensembles, competitions, awards, and other evidence of artistic leadership.
- At least one letter of recommendation from a music teacher describing your commitment to developing your musical abilities (this step is optional but welcome for K).
- One of the following:
- A live, on-campus audition consisting of two or more contrasting works which best illustrate the breadth and quality of your technical and artistic achievements. To arrange an on-campus audition, please schedule an Individual Visit through our website.
- A real-time Skype audition. This option is geared toward those students whose location may prevent a campus visit. To arrange a Skype audition, please contact Elyse Dunsford at email@example.com.
- Audio or video of two or more works which best illustrates the breadth and quality of your technical and artistic achievements. This option should be utilized only when an on-campus or Skype audition is not feasible; although all submissions will receive equal consideration, a live audition is strongly preferred.
Your materials will be carefully reviewed by our professional faculty.
Find out more about our Music Program here