Types of Financial Aid

College is a valuable investment because an education will last your entire life. If you need assistance with the types of financial aid available as you pursue your education, we’re here to help. Read about the scholarships and grants, federal work study, and loans possible for students.Family smiling at graduate types of financial aid

Scholarships and Grants

These types of financial aid can come from the federal government, your state government, Kalamazoo College itself, or a private or nonprofit organization. To be considered for scholarships and grants, complete the Kalamazoo College application for admission and submit the FAFSA. Return any requested forms to the proper entities. Such options for scholarships and grants include:

  • the Kalamazoo Merit Scholarships. These may be awarded through the College to incoming first-year or transfer students by the Office of Admission. This scholarship program is not need-based, so no financial aid application is required for renewal;
  • the Enlightened Leadership and Social Justice merit awards, which have a separate essay/formal application process defined by the Office of Admission. These awards are not need-based, so no financial aid application is required for renewal;
  • the Kalamazoo Grant, which is awarded based on need from college funds. All students only need to submit the FAFSA to be considered for this grant.
  • the Mandelle Award is a Kalamazoo College award for students who meet certain requirements by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This funding is renewable for four years if the student remains in good academic standing.
  • endowed scholarships, provided through the generosity of individuals who have donated money to the College. Recipients of such awards will receive information about the donor and will be expected to write a letter of thanks to the donor;
  • state awards such as the Michigan Competitive Scholarship, which is based on need and merit, and the Michigan Tuition Grant, which is based only on need. Both are available through the Student Scholarships and Grants Division; and
  • federal awards such as Pell Grants and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) awarded from federal funds granted to Kalamazoo College. Both are need-based awards with SEOG priority given to Pell Grant recipients.

Types of Financial Aid: Federal Work Study and Campus Employment

Students with a Federal Work Study award are given priority in hiring for on-campus jobs. It is an employment program in which 75 percent of the student wage is supported by federal dollars for work on campus or for approved employment in specific off-campus agencies. This award is given as eligibility to work on campus.

The Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) facilitates the posting of on campus jobs and student profiles through the Handshake website. Find information on campus employment for the academic year and summer on the CCPD website.

Types of Financial Aid: Loans

Exhaust your options for scholarships, grants and work study first. If loans are a last resort, make sure not to borrow more than you need. Use our billing calculatorsĀ (1st year billing calculator; Current Student billing calculator) when determining how much you need to borrow. There are steps you must complete in order to receive your loans, feel free to contact us if you have questions about these requirements. Loans available to finance college include:

  • federal student loans. Direct Stafford Loans are available by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility;
  • Parent PLUS Loans designed to be used by the parents of dependent students. Eligibility for this loan program is not based on financial need and the loans are processed through the Direct Loan Program; and
  • private loans. When federal loans and other aid do not cover your cost of education, external or private educational loans are available. Our historical lender list, hosted by ELMSelect, is intended to be a starting point as students and parents begin their lender search.

Contact us when you need guidance on what might benefit you. Call us at 269.337.7192 or 800.632.5760. You also may email us at finaid@kzoo.edu.