The Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership envisions and pursues a world in which every person’s life is equally valued, the opportunity to develop one’s full potential is available to every person, and resources are distributed equitably – locally, nationally, and globally.
Successful applicants for this scholarship will demonstrate a commitment to social justice and human rights work and will have the passion and interest to pursue this commitment as ACSJL Scholars throughout their time at Kalamazoo College. Students who demonstrate high financial need, students who are of the first generation in their families to attend college, and students of color are especially encouraged to apply.
Please apply for this scholarship online through SlideRoom. You will be asked to provide the following information:
- Application cover page
- Resumé documenting relevant engagement in social justice and/or human rights work. Please indicate your level of involvement in each of your efforts, both in terms of your responsibilities and the amount of time you committed to your activities.
- An essay, consisting of no more than 500-750 words, in which you consider the vision of the Arcus Center above, draw upon your own experiences working for social justice and/or human rights, and answer the following questions:
- What is your vision of a socially just world? How have your past efforts been oriented toward realizing your envisioned world? How do you imagine your work unfolding in the future, either at Kalamazoo College or beyond?
- What particular strengths do you utilize in your efforts to pursue social justice and/or human rights? What challenges have you faced in your efforts?
- A letter of recommendation from someone who has been closely associated with your efforts to realize a world characterized by social justice and/or human rights. This could be a collaborator, advisor, program participant, close observer, etc. No parent recommendations.
Recipients of the Social Justice Leadership Award will meet with the Program Coordinator of the Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership early in the Fall Quarter of their first year to discuss how the recipient will be involved in social justice endeavors during their time at Kalamazoo College. Recipients are expected to maintain connectivity to the Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership during each year they are on campus.
- The deadline for applying for this scholarship is February 1, 2017.
- The scholarship can only be applied toward the cost of tuition, not room & board or fees.
- One scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $20,000 ($5,000/year).
- All students are eligible to apply for the Social Justice Leadership Award, even if they have received other scholarships from the College. However, going forward, they will not be eligible for any additional scholarship support from the Arcus Center.
- Students are not required to major or minor in any specific discipline in order to be awarded this scholarship.
- All applicants will be notified of the Social Justice Leadership Award results no later than April 1.
Questions about the Social Justice Leadership Award should be directed to Marcus Johnson at email@example.com.